Tuesday, January 1, 2008

A symphony of lights


Our New Year's Eve plans changed. Instead of a GMT New Year's celebration, we checked out Columbia's Symphony of Lights (put on as a fundraiser by HCGH, it's a drive through Merriweather where nearly 70 lighted displays, both stationary and moving, light the way along a winding drive. Walking tours are available early evening.) As long as I've lived in the area, I've never done this. So we piled into the car (Erin slept the whole way) and drove. I have some photos to share (taken with other digital camera and I need to get the reader device for it).

If I were five years old, I'd be most impressed (as Lanie secretly was, though she's sometimes too much of a grump to admit to having fun). But at my age, I have to admit I expected something much more spectacular. Still, it was a nice drive. We finished the evening's outing with a quick pass to Starbucks at the Mall for hot chocolate (which Lanie prefers cold) and white chocolate mocha coffee; and I very narrowly escaped having both my legs broken as a young girlie driver didn't pay attention to backing her parents' SUV out of the space next to us while I was buckling Lanie up. Shane and I were stunned at how close I came to having the car door shut and pinned against my body. Not sure if God had a plan for her or me that day, but nevertheless, I'm grateful my legs were spared (and we both spent the ride home thanking Him!).

Erin decided to join in the evening's activities as we pulled into the neighborhood at almost 8 p.m. Shane and I knew that meant a very late night now that she'd had a good two-hour nap. I made him stay up with me, which was a struggle for him. Erin and I enjoyed some neighboring fireworks as the night wore on, and at precisely midnight, my sweet daughter fell asleep in my arms. I carried her upstairs as the fireworks boomed in celebration of 2008--much more of a symphony of lights to me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"At one time, most of my friends could hear the bell, but as years passed, it fell silent for all of them. Even Sarah found one Christmas that she could no longer hear its sweet sound. Though I've grown old, the bell still rings for me, as it does for all who truly believe." (from "The Polar Express")

If the lights looked small and unimpressive, perhaps the bell is silent now.

PETE