Wednesday, April 16, 2008

This is kind of gross; read at your own risk

You'd think by my posts that things at this house are very sweet. And full of wonderful rainbow events and precious sayings. In short, by some standards, perfect ... and by other standards, boring. But there is a darker side to this story that I've never mentioned.

My five year old can be really gross. As I was changing the sheets in her room last night, I noticed the wall by the top of the bed was bespeckled. "Lanie," I call, "Are you putting boogies on your wall?!"

Lanie: "Yes. I'm sorry. I forgot I wasn't supposed to."

To make the punishment fit the crime, she will clean them off with a sponge today!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's EXACTLY the way I handled messes the kids made here. "You made the mess, you clean it up." No shouting, no emotion, just a matter of fact statement of what the policy was. I would help them with the tools, such as a vacuum cleaner or mop, and show them **once** how to use them, but that was it. I figured it taught them how to clean up, and was mildly annoying to them - both of which were good. But the first cleanups weren't too great, because the kids weren't very competent. (sp?) This also planted the seed for the idea that forgiveness involves more than just saying sorry.

I had fewer and fewer messes as time went on.

PETE