Sunday, May 25, 2008

The good life

My family and I joined several families last night for a great cookout and fun in the woods. I wrote last that we'd be roasting marshmallows and making s'mores. I never imagined the sensory treat I was in for. How together our host was, down to the smallest detail (tea lights in seashells she and her kids found during a recent beach trip, jazz playing in the background, and a buffet that delighted even my finicky eater). How wonderful to sit outside and listen to birds chirping and children laughing. Watching Lanie on a tire swing (a real one, that hung from a really big, old tree), while Erin slept in my arms. Then heading eagerly into the woods to sit on the most fabulous wooden benches around a campfire that sputtered and popped. The kids lined up with sticks and marshmallows. And I had my first fire-roasted marshmallow s'more since I was probably fifteen. How good was that?! And as I looked around at friends on benches and children playing around, parents who donned jackets and sweatshirts as the evening grew chilly, the crackle of the fire, the feel of my kids in my arms ... well, I couldn't help thinking that I jumped into a beautiful Martha Stewart layout, where I've always secretly hoped to visit: where everything is beautiful, perfect and raw. And I was so intensely aware how good life is, surrounded by friends and family, sticky marshmallow hands and chocolate. Wow, thanks for that!

No comments: