Tuesday, May 27, 2008

How to save the day

Yesterday was such a beautiful day ... especially for going to the National Zoo. Yet after a very long drive, we were disappointed to find that all the parking lots there were full and there wasn't any nearby street parking. Even though it was early in the day, we realized that doing this zoo trip would mean leaving after breakfast. Maybe next weekend.

Lanie, who, during the entire ride to D.C. stated that she didn't care much about the zoo, was in tears. I searched my mind for a fun alternative. Since we had already packed a picnic lunch, I suggested we go to the park where I always had a lot of fun when I was a kid (and it is still my most favorite park). So we did, and it saved the day.

We ate as soon as we got there, and that seemed to soothe everyone's state of mind. Then it was off to all the fabulous slides and things. We enjoyed the aromas from nearby charcoal grills; the park was pleasantly full and everyone was playing nicely; we were refreshed by shade trees and gentle breezes. We didn't walk the botanical gardens, visit the butterfly sanctuary or ride


the park train, but we did chalk up some really fun memories and enjoy each other.






When we got home, I pulled out the sprinkler and suited up both girls. I'm so glad that they can enjoy the simplest pleasures.

No comments: