Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Cherry, lemonade, Christmas, fruit punch, watermelon ...

During our weekly shopping trip, Lanie spotted a Jelly Belly candy display. She talked on and on about how pretty the jellybeans were and asked if we could get a bag. I said ok. On the package, they had pictures of the jellybeans and listed the flavors: all 30 of them. She gazed at the speckled beans in delight because she can't quite read flavors yet. She was excited.

When we got to the car, she asked if she could have jellybeans after lunch. But I decided to let her have a handful before lunch, in the car, on the way home. She was very excited. She savored each one and said every time, "This one's good. This one's good." She was a bundle of sugar rush. She watched me to see how many I'd snack on, and warned me frequently not to eat them all. So to appease her, I gave her a few more. Then the screaming began.

"AHHH! AHHH!" from the back seat. Shrieks of terror and panic.

"What's wrong?" I asked, alarmed and unable to survey the situation as I was driving 50 m.p.h. down a country road.

"I DON'T LIKE THIS ONE!" she shrieked.

"Ok, then," I said. "Just swallow it."

"NO, LET ME SPIT IT IN YOUR HAND!" she continues yelling.

"Lanie, I'm driving. You can't spit it in my hand. Swallow it."

"UGH. IT TASTES LIKE CHRISTMAS! I DON'T LIKE IT!"

"Swallow it and I'll give you one that tastes better."

"Will it burn my throat if I swallow it?" she sobs.

"No, it won't." So she did. And I gave her a pretty pink one to chase down the burning Christmas jellybean.

Not even two minutes later ...

"AHH! AHHH! I don't like this one!" It was coffee flavored. She spit it into her own hand and had to hold it the remainder of the ride home because I didn't have any napkins in the car.

Thirty flavors sound pretty good until you find yourself choking on Christmas. Maybe so many choices aren't such a good thing after all.

4 comments:

McSwain said...

Is "Christmas" cinnamon? 'Cause that might burn.

I like watermelon--green on the outside and red on the inside. And the popcorn flavor because it's so odd in a jellybean, and yet so good.

Courtney said...

Christmas is cinnamon!

I often wondered who'd like the buttered popcorn ones ... and now I know!

I'm so plain. I like the traditional flavors: orange, cherry, lemon ... but I'll still eat Christmas.

Christine said...

I was wondering what Christmas tastes like, too...now I know. I don't think I would like cinnamon, either, or coffee. My favorites are the tropical fruity ones: coconut, pineapple, etc.

Courtney said...

You know, I would totally be into one that tasted like chocolate chip cookie dough or sugar cookie.