Monday, June 16, 2008

Coffee, tea or ...

The other day, Lanie was playing kitchen in the playroom with me and Shane. She was taking our orders and serving us while we lounged on the couches, ready for our own afternoon naps. I ordered food and drink as any good mommy would: ice cream and a cup of water. And she obliged. Shane had to put his unsavory twist on it, asking if she had beer or whiskey. She looked at him, then at me. I told him to play nice.

"She's going to end up in church one day, asking her fellow classmates for whiskey!" I warned.

Seeing my logic, he changed his order. Well, you can see where this is going ...

Today she comes into my office while I'm at the computer and tells me about this great party she's putting together. Every few minutes, she gives me an update on the guests and the preparations. Wondering how long I'll be, she says, "Mommy, you're going to have to have a bottle."

"A bottle instead of what?"

"A cup."

Then she goes on to name several of her dolls and the drinks they're having. And Shankellyn (named after a little girl at the gym, although I have no idea how it's really spelled) is drinking BEER.

Ok. Since when do dolls start drinking beer at kids' parties?

Since daddies were invited to play. Thanks, Shane.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

O Courtney, you fell for the shocked parent trick! Now Lanie knows that BEER and WHISKEY are shocking to parents, and not allowed in Church.. which makes them all the more fascinating.
NOW what are you going to do?

PETE

Courtney said...

Here I do all I can to surround my kid with positive influences, and then I'm weakened from inside the fortress walls by my own husband! I can only hope that she forgets this.