Thursday, June 26, 2008

Twenty-five

I went today with Lanie to get my hair cut. I was going to just take it up a bit, staying true to the cut I have come to really like. But I watched a woman next to me getting a very short bob and I thought it was cute. When it was my turn, I asked my stylist if he thought I could pull it off. He said I would probably be more comfortable with a longer version since it would be a drastic change from what I was used to. So he cut. And I felt years dropping off me onto the floor. I loved the look while it was still wet. And best of all, it made me feel like I was twenty-five.

"You are my honorary best friend of the day," I told him. I wanted to jump up and down when he finished. I couldn't stop gushing over it. I waited till we got to the car to ask Lanie what she thought of it, because she is my biggest fan and worst critic all in one. She liked it a lot. I called my husband.

"You're going to love it!" I told him.

"Are you trying to prepare me for a short haircut?" He hates short hair cuts on women.

"You'll see. It's great! Bye!"

Lanie and I went to Jimmie Cone for ice cream cones. I felt like I had traveled back in time. I cannot tell you ... even sitting here in this chair, I feel all the wonderful things that I felt when I was twenty-five (and yes, that was a very good year for me).

I wish I could touch my finger to yours and zap you with the goodness I feel. And then we'd jump on our bikes and take a ride along the C & O Canal until your bottom hurts. I was big, big, big into biking at twenty-five.

When Shane came home, I could see it immediately in his eyes he didn't like the cut. And if that weren't enough, he told me, "I don't like it. It's a nice cut. And it looks nice on you. But I don't like it."

"I feel like I'm twenty-five again with this cut. I feel amazing. It's the closest I'm going to get to twenty-five. Let me enjoy it." Then added, "It's also the closest you're getting to twenty-five. So you might as well enjoy it too!"


2 comments:

mommagurl32 said...

For what it's worth, I think your haircut is adorable! Thanks for stopping by my blog! This is my second time around with Weight Watchers, and this week is my free week, you know, the one they let you have at that special time every month? No? Well, my husband didn't think so either. But a girl has to have her chocolate...next week will be better! So needless to say I won't be posting my (nonexistant) weight loss this week!

Courtney said...

Thanks for liking the haircut too. Good luck w/ WW. I vote chocolate counts as negative points on your free week.