Monday, June 2, 2008

Who's your favorite?

I was thinking of something sweet Lanie had done over the weekend (we were at church Sunday, and it was a kids' ministry performance. At the end, all the children walked across the stage and down a set of stairs. Lanie and her friend did too, but the friend stopped at the bottom of the steps, and looked liked she wondered what to do. Lanie walked back and took her friend's hand, and they walked hand in hand away. Very sweet.). And at this thought, I couldn't help but want to hug and kiss on my kid. So I called her over and she fell into my lap and let me hug on her.

I said to her, "Lanie, I sure do love you!"

And she said, "Do you love me more than you love Erin?"

What child hasn't asked his mom that question? What child doesn't want to be loved the most? Because, really, can you ever feel loved too much? It's not like chocolate, that if you get too much you'll run the risk of never wanting to see it again. Or too much horseradish with lemon on salmon ... that the mere thought makes you want. to. gag. and never eat salmon again, no matter how it's dressed up.

Weighing my words carefully, I said, "A mom loves all her kids in different ways."

Lanie beamed, "I knew you loved me the most!"

I could only laugh.

2 comments:

McSwain said...

We all hear what we want to hear, don't we? That's funny.

Thank you for saving me from the dreaded 13. You're my new best friend.

Courtney said...

14 was my favorite number for the longest time! Love your blog.