Monday, August 18, 2008

The personality test

I remember a time when I was really second-guessing some career choices I made, and it was keeping me awake very late one night. I worried, fretted, cried and wondered, what am I supposed to be doing with my life? I was lucky, and still am, to have had Shane by my side as I voiced possibly one of my biggest fears, "I don't know where I fit."

And he said, "You fit with me."

You saw that coming, didn't you. Well, his words were like salve on a wound to me. I don't think I'd ever felt more loved, wanted, or even grateful in my life. (Well, not counting becoming a Christian. Or a mom.)

I was at an event recently where, for an ice breaker, they administered a personality test. This test revealed what your color is, your temperament, and gave you a new adjective to describe yourself. There was the type-A "Choleric" (who is also known as The Doer), the "Sanguine" (The Talker), "Melancholic" (The Thinker), and "Phlegmatic" (The Peace-maker). The test was simple. There are four descriptive words per line (40 lines) and you have to choose the one that best describes you per each line. Not who you want to be, but who you are. Some of these were things I didn't want to own up to (you pick for yourself. Given these four adjectives, who would you want to be, or rather, which one are you: unsympathetic, unforgiving, unenthusiastic, undisciplined. Ouch.) Then at the end you go to an answer sheet and find out who you are.

The Cholerics playfully referred to themselves as Bossy. They were also the ones who were running the show that day, and I found it amusing that as they spoke about the topic or themselves, they all squeezed in "I'm a choleric" somewhere in the conversation.

Anyway, I've taken a lot of tests in my life to try to figure out the color of my parachute, my personality, my spiritual gifts, even my heart's desire. But none of these tests ever revealed anything that I didn't know. Not if I really thought about it. And this was no different. I was given a new color, a list of my strengths, and a list of my weaknesses--like I needed that. And I sit here now, looking at this box, summing me up into one title.

"My name is Courtney, and I'm a melancholic ... who suffers from occasional bossiness and indecision." I don't particularly like being bossed around, and I suspect that many of my good friends are phlegmatics.

I googled the test and found one here. If you'd like, share your personality in comments.

4 comments:

5intow said...

I am soooo phlegmatic.

I wonder if we have different 'web' personalities than real life ones. I can be more dogmatic on my blog than in real life. I don't need to seek the peace with people I don't see face to face. I know a few people who seem very different IRL and URL.

Interesting stuff, but like you said, nothing I didn't really know if I stopped to think about it.

btw, How's the running? I did over 2 miles non-stop today. It felt so good. Such an accomplishment!
~Erin

Courtney said...

I heart phlegmatics.

My running days are Sun., Tues., and Thurs. I missed Sunday's run because my youngest was feverish and clingy. I might have to do a back-to-back run today/tomorrow. I'm on week two. It's my favorite week of the two I've done. And I like running on the treadmill at the gym better than the one in our basement. Our neighborhood is way too hilly to push kids in a stroller for a street run.

Great job on your 2 miles!

Laurie said...

hmmm. i have no idea what I am. I guess I'll have to take the test :) .

Courtney said...

Laurie, a rose by any other name is still a rose. Have fun with the test!

When I showed the results to my husband, he didn't see me at all the way I saw myself, putting me into an entirely different category.