Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Symphony

There's a music that plays in my house at night. It wakes me frequently and nightly. It's a symphony of sorts. No one else seems to hear it but me:

Shane snoring.

Erin's midnight requests, "Mommy, more milky please!"

Lanie, her sleepy time conversations. This kid is a loud sleep talker. And occasional sleepwalker. I've found her closed in dark rooms I didn't put her in or standing in the middle of the kitchen or asleep on the couch.

These familiar sounds of my nighttime family have worn grooves into my mind that cause my sleep needle to skip. And that's pretty fine with me. How sad when I can finally sleep through the night again ... when my house is silent, my children grown, my heart still.

Bravo, my musicians, for your sweet music.

Encore! Encore!

2 comments:

Natalie @ I AM (not) said...

I've often thought about how quiet my house will be when all my kids are gone. I've been in the house i grew up in when no one was there and there is a sweet sadness to it. I love the noise.

Courtney said...

I know what you mean!