Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Whispers

I've been enjoying reading Little House on the Prairie to Lanie at night. She looks forward to it too. If the chapter's a shorty, she even seems a little disappointed. So I make up for the lost time with extra cuddles and talk--the quieter the better.

Sometimes we whisper to each other about a secret place to meet in our dreams. Like the blueberry patch. Or the beach. Or a picnic spot at the park. "See you later in my dreams!"

Last night she wanted story ideas that she could tell herself as she fell asleep. My goodness, for nearly two years Shane and I had to come up with different stories for her and her storyline best friend, Piggette. We told so many stories, and some of them were so lame, but she didn't care. I suppose she fixed it all in her imagination.

But now, with new best buddies in her life, Piggette is just a memory. I asked Lanie, "Who are your best friends? Olivia and Ashyln?"

She said, in a whisper, "Yeah. And you, Mom. You're my best friend too."

I hugged her so tightly and didn't want to let go.

9 comments:

jodie said...

WOOOOOWWWWWW!!!!!!!!

Sharon said...

One word: PRECIOUS

Courtney said...

That's just one of the perks of this job. I consider it a bonus.

Katie @ Heart Gone Walking said...

This is so so so precious. What a blessing to type it out, remember it and have her read it one day.

Confession: Many times, I forget to check on your blog and then when I do come back, I always love what I read.

So I'm adding you to my Google reader. I don't want to miss more. :)

Courtney said...

Wow, thanks Katie. That's a huge compliment.

One day your little cutie will be whispering the same love song in your ear and you'll blog it for her too. I can't wait to read about it.

Lani said...

You have no clue who I am but I'm a friend of Katie's. I saw a link to your blog on her's so I thought I'd read what she was talking about.

Two things...

Love your daughter's name ;)
and...
Love the story! Absolutely adorable!! :)

Courtney said...

Thanks for stopping by, Lani!

kristen@nosmallthing said...

That is SO precious. I love it.

The other day my daughter was telling me what she did in school that day (she is 8). She said they had to write about their hero. And she said she wrote about me. I nearly burst.

All these little things we do may not seem like much at the time. But all piled up together, they become one big thing to a little child. :)

Courtney said...

You're right, Kristen. It's certainly encouraging to know how much we mean to these little ones, even in the everyday stuff.