Monday, January 12, 2009

Language barrier

The ride home from school today:

Lanie, "Mom, what comes after 1,000?"

Me, "1,001."

Lanie, "No, I don't mean that. What comes after 1,000? Like the next big number."

"2,000."

"No! Not that," she says.

"I don't know, honey, ask your dad."

"No, I'm not asking him."

Me, "Well, I'm not sure what you're getting at."

"Well, Mom, you should be paying attention."

Oh my goodness. I try again, "The next big number ... like 10,000? 100,000?"

"No, not numbers like that. What's the next big number?"

I feel like this is the math version of Who's on First.

"One million," I said. Please, let it be one million.

"Thanks."

4 comments:

jodie said...

thanks for the smile

FishMama said...

Very cute. Glad you stopped by. I'd been thinking about you. Hadn't seen you in awhile and couldn't remember your blog name.

Hope you had a happy new year!

Courtney said...

Thanks for thinking of me, F/M. I have you on a reader, so I'm still following along. I just don't get around to commenting as much. Happy new year to you too!

5intow said...

Sounds like you passed. :-) I sometimes use my "phone your father" card as well. It doesn't always work though. Delayed answers is not a strength for most kids in the under 8 age range.
~Erin