Monday, February 9, 2009

Ladybug

Erin found a ladybug in our house last night. She was fascinated by it. Then Lanie saw it ... Lanie, who is afraid of every living creature that's not her mom, dad or sister. And Lanie, yes, Lanie, wanted me to pick the ladybug up and put it on her hand because she wanted to know what it felt like crawling on her.

"Just put your finger next to her and she'll probably crawl up on you," I said. She wouldn't do it. So I tried to reassure her it would be ok, "Ladybugs don't hurt people. They don't bite or anything like that. And they only eat green stuff. Like leaves."

"But I'm wearing green," she said, worrying over the trace amounts of green color on her princess pajamas.

"Yeah, but you're not green like a leaf. And you smell like a girl, not a plant. That ladybug isn't going to want to eat you."

She wanted no part of it and turns to Erin trying get her to touch it. But Erin was already sensing from Lanie that this was not a good plan. Lanie said, "Go ahead, Erin. Ladybugs only eat leaves and you're not green."

I picked up the ladybug and the girls were fascinated and squealed about it crawling around. Finally, as it got close to bedtime, I let the ladybug out to go be with her family outside.

As I lay next to Erin and she cuddled next to me to sleep, she talked two-speak to me about the events, "Ladybug. Outside. Ladybug family."

"Yes," I said. "She's outside with her family."

"Yeah," she said and laughed. I could only imagine what was going through her mind, the thrill of seeing a ladybug, the novelty of it in her house, the marvel of it crawling on Mommy and books and stuff, and the wonder of the ladybug's home and family.

Sweet.

2 comments:

jodie said...

When I was teaching 1st Grade in a Christian school, there were trees near our school that attracted ladybugs by the thousands. They would literally coat the trunks of the trees as the bugs attempted to burrow into the cracks and crevasses of the bark in order to prepare for hibernation. I was told, but can't find proof, that the outer layers of ladybugs would sacrifice their lives by keeping the inner layers of bugs warm. When the hibernation began in the fall, I would take my class out to examine the trees and we would talk about how Jesus sacrificed Himself so we could live.

I'm not sure the ladybug sacrificing is true so I probably misinformed my 1st graders (and they are now in therapy). But it certainly made for a great spiritual lesson!

Chocolate, Vanilla and Caramel said...

That is so funny she was worried about wearing green and that the ladybug would think she was a leaf. I got a good chuckle out of that one.

Yes, the kids' funny sayings sure keep me going.