Thursday, April 9, 2009

Color me Easter

Last night when Shane came home, I felt pretty beat after a full day. I said, "I'm broken."

After dinner, I snuck off to do a blog post in the minutes I had before the bedtime ritual. In ten minutes, I can hear all kinds of chaos from the family room. I come out to get the kids and get them ready for bed. Shane casts a look my way and says, "I'm broken."

I laughed. Lanie was still a bit grumbly from boot camp. She didn't want stories or cuddles at bedtime. When I went in to pray with her, she was scowling and crossing her arms.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"I'm mad that Sarah and Katy aren't coming over tomorrow," she stated. I cancelled a playdate with friends earlier in the day.

"Well, you know the reason for that," I said. The reason being, and this applies to me too, that if we treat our friends better than we treat the people in our own family, then we are nothing but hypocrites. Loving your neighbor starts in the home, and we need to work on that--collectively--with better attitudes.

"Can we still dye Easter eggs?" she asked.

"Of course," I said. And then she was ready to cuddle and chat.

Today started for me around 3 a.m. when I realized I didn't pack Shane's lunch. And falling back to sleep was rough going. Lanie woke me early to give me a hug. And no sooner were my feet on the floor when she asked, "When are we going to dye eggs?"

I believe we started after breakfast, around 8:15 a.m. This is the first year I've dyed eggs with the kids. It was such fun, that Lanie requested we do it again next year.

Monogrammed aprons I was saving for Christmas (oh well); dye in cups; Lanie


Erin; drying eggs; Lanie hollows out a raw egg to color its shell


Erin admires an egg; striped eggs (use rubberbands); Lanie tattoos an egg


No comments: