Friday, May 15, 2009

Birthday



Shane celebrates another birthday this weekend.

"Mommy, will Daddy be 42 on his birthday?" Lanie asks from the back seat. We're on the way to the mall to select a gift for him.
"Yes."

"Thats OLD!" she exclaims. Then, "And you're still 39?"

"Yes," I say, feeling pleased I am still in my thirties. While not dreading forties, I'm going to enjoy being the young one in the family. At least until I hear Lanie say, "That's OLD!"

We had a mission to get a gift for Shane, the hardest person in the world to buy for. I had a few errands to run as well, and a couple of shops to browse through windows. Lanie fingers fabrics in the women's shops, "Are you getting Daddy this shirt?" Um. No.

We select his gift and head out to the carousel. I couldn't resist going by and I had my camera on me, hoping my kids would look in my direction so I could get a good shot. Often, they see the camera and look everywhere BUT at me. In fact, I typically shoot about 300 pictures and get about five brag-worthy ones. Thank goodness for digital technology. I have saved a small fortune in developing fees.

I call Shane later to tell him about the carousel. I ask, "Have you had cake yet today?" His office celebrates every birthday.

"Not yet," he said. Then, "You're not getting me a cake are you?" He hates a fuss.

"What if we just showed up at the office and sang to you there?" I tease.

"Are you?"

"No. I've got to get the kids home and fed for my nail appointment at one," I explain.

Mock indignation, he says, "I'm glad you're treating yourself to a manicure for my birthday."

My pleasure.

1 comment:

Karen said...

I wish he had worn his "it's my birthday" button last nitht. We could have had the whole Academy sing to him. Bet he would have LOVED that! (Not!)