Friday, July 10, 2009

SSF

I can't believe I'm alone with my thoughts at 7:30 a.m. This week has caught up with my kids, who are sleeping in. VBS has been a great experience for Lanie, and Erin is quick to pick up the lyrics and moves with the bunch of them. She'll be ready for next summer's edition, but will I? With two kids in attendance, that frees me up to, uh, volunteer. If my kids are pooped at the end of the week, I wonder how much better I'll fare?!

Cooler temps in the forecast today make it another fine Friday for berry picking. And that's where we'll be this afternoon. I like the simplicity of heading down the road and making these memories with my kids. Super Surprise Friday feels better to me when it's simple. I do enjoy the occasional big outing someplace, but I think my kids will one day appreciate a slower pace in their childhoods. A lot of families schedule themselves into a strict plan. My childhood was full of warm, lazy days where creativity was birthed. Not a bad thing at all.

Found a blog through Simple Mom called Simple Kids. Good thoughts.

3 comments:

Beckie said...

I definitely struggle with the balance between having care-free days and allowing the kids to experience the opportunities around them and encourage a healthy lifestyle with sports involvement.

Somedays I want to move to the middle of no-where and do absolutely nothing except hang out.

It gets harder too with more kids because what one kids does, another one wants to do.

That's why on certain days, I just want to drop any kind of extra-curricular activities and why Olivia does nothing like girl scouts or fall sports,etc.

But then I feel guilt about that too! As you can see...quite a struggle for me.

Courtney said...

I really have to hold myself back from scheduling Lanie into things. There's nothing wrong with piano or gymnastics or dance or soccer or swim lessons. I suppose one day when Erin's up to following in sister's footsteps, she'll be ready to do all these things too. But I feel a bit of dread on what that will do to family time and evening dinners. Maybe that's just a sign of our culture now, and I need to get with the program!

I was only going to sign Lanie up for one activity this fall: piano. But the lady across the street from us isn't taking new kids this year. So I'm not sure what we're going to try. I hear soccer is a three day commitment each week and that makes me groan.

There's a part of me that yearns for simple. So I'm going to stay here as long as I can!

Beckie said...

My neighbor teaches piano on Tuesdays. That's not too far of a drive for you. She's very reasonable too ($10 for 1/2 hour lesson.) Hannah & Chloe take lessons there & Hannah (who started when she was 7) has progressed quite nicely! She's a very sweet women.

Soccer with the local Rec. league is 2x a week. One evening practice & Saturday games.

Let me know if you want info on either of those.

Olivia does not want to do soccer, I'm thinking swimming might be her thing. ($$...yikes)