Thursday, September 17, 2009

Feeding frenzy

I was sitting at my desk, wrapped up in a handmade crocheted pink shawl. Erin comes in and says, "Why you have that on, Mama?"

"Because I'm cold. And I didn't have anyone to keep me warm. So I put this on. Because I'm cold!" I said, shivering for dramatic effect.

"Take it off and I keep you warm."

I took the blanket off my shoulders and opened my arms, and in climbed the most delectable two year old I know. She hugged me tightly and I squeezed her back.

"I think I love you!" I said.

"I think I love you too!" she replied. And then I ate her. She laughed and squirmed and squealed as I tickled her sides and neck and arm pits. I made frenzied gobbling sounds and ate her up.

"I love you!" she told me again. "Can I please have some juicy?"

I got up to get her some juice. Lanie asked, "What are you guys doing?"

"I'm fixing Erin a juicy," I said. "And then I'm going to EAT HER UP!"

Erin laughed. Shortly after, she finds me wrapped in the shawl.

"Mama, take off you blanket and I keep you warm!" She climbed into my arms again and told me over and over, "I love you!" And it warmed me right up.

2 comments:

jodie said...

Do you know how fortunate you are (I was trying not to say "lucky") to have random reminders of love like this throughout the day? How precious! It must fill your cup.

And what in the world is that incredible looking dessert! I want some!!!

Courtney said...

I do and it does.

That dessert is the plum cake I made the other week. I'm ready to make another if you want to stop by and have a slice. It slices wonderfully, is passable for breakfast and the plums are like jam. My new favorite. Surprisingly, there's no chocolate in it.