Thursday, October 15, 2009

It's all the rage

So, how is it I throw my back out on my first full day of being forty, just by getting out of bed?

Shane was quick to offer solutions. He recommended morning stretching and explained how. As my back pain worsened through the coming days, I decided to try his stretches. Lying on the floor on my back, I gently brought my knees to my chest and hugged them for several intervals. It didn't hurt and it was nice to stretch. However, upon finishing, my back went into excruciating spasms, which plagued me for the next days to the point of tears. Many tears.

"Howard Stern read a book by a doctor named Sarno," he went on to tell me. "It really helped his back pain."

Not buying it. But some curiosity got the best of me and I searched this Sarno guy online and found this blurb about him and his philosophy.

Interesting, I thought. A friend from church called later that evening and asked how I was doing. I explained what I'd been through in a week's time and I think I shared with her some tidbit on Sarno. What could make me have repressed rage on the first day of forty?

"Well, I talked to my dad on my birthday and he said he wasn't coming to my party. Maybe that pissed me off," I said. Lightly.

"I don't think you're supposed to say pissed off to a church person," Shane said lowly.

Noted.

Did the back pain go away as a result of this insight? (Coincidentally, it did improve significantly. But I'm still not buying the rage relationship--mostly for lack of rage.) I never thought of myself as someone with repressed rage. Perhaps occasionally melancholic. And at times, I like to think, endearingly quirky.

No comments: