Friday, November 27, 2009

Another Thanksgiving day post

I got a free turkey a local store was giving away after point accumulation. It was frozen, though, and I was nervous (my sister once cooked a beautifully browned bird that was frozen on the inside--and I vowed that I would always buy fresh--but free is worth trying). I set it to thaw on Sunday and by Thursday morning a small portion still felt frozen. I stuck it in a cold water bath and wondered if anyone would notice if I served roast chicken instead ... it all turned out just fine and that frozen free bird was tastier than any fresh turkey breast I have ever gotten. I will never snub my nose at a frozen bird again (and I can't wait for sandwiches today!)

cheese and crackers, pumpkin dip
butternut bisque
apple, feta and pecans over mixed greens with raspberry vinaigrette
evil mashed potatoes with gravy (read loaded with butter, cream cheese and 1/2 & 1/2)
TURKEY with butter and thyme
sausage stuffing
coconut cake (made by my dad)
gingerbread cake
pumpkin ice cream
peppermint hot chocolate

Below: fresh flowers, misty day, Lanie and her artful gifts, Erin, table setting, gingerbread cake, pumpkin dip in a turkey dish, salad.




Memory shots: Lanie's hand reaching between the chairs to poke at my dad; Erin saying, "I'm thankful for you, Mama!"; my dad's cake; enormous mounds of homemade whipped cream in hot chocolate; candlelight everywhere; an almost full family picture. Fine day, fine day.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Looks like it all turned out beautifully!