Saturday, December 5, 2009

7:02

Barely light in the room because of overcast skies and rumor of snow. A squirmy girl rolls over and looks into my eyes.

"Morning, Mama," she says and I smile, pulling her close. "Let's go downstairs!"

"Let's cuddle a few more minutes," I whisper and she burrows against me momentarily. A tap, tap on my shoulder and I turn to see Lanie smiling.

"Lanie!" Erin squeals. Our day is started. Shane rolls over to happy chatter.

"How many more days till Christmas, Daddy? Twenty or twenty-one?" Lanie asks. "Guess who we prayed for in the prayer chain last night?"

Erin climbs out of bed holding two Noonoos and three "puppies," walks over to the monkey we got at the zoo and squeezes his belly.

Screech, screech, screech responds its voice box. Again and again. Over and over.

"Seems fitting," I murmur of our little zoo. I love Saturdays.

Downstairs to start breakfast. Turn on Christmas tree lights. Scrambled eggs. Juice. I steal away to write and look out the window. And snow is falling.

No comments: