Tuesday, December 8, 2009

As good as it gets

Lanie mentioned to Shane that I did a double workout today of treadmill and the balance ball lower body workout. He looks at me.

"How'd that feel?" he asks.

Huh?

"Well, I thought I would feel a lot happier after having done it. The treadmill part wasn't so bad, but a few of those exercises made me wish there weren't so many reps. And when it was all done, I felt really cranky," I say. I left out the part about how chocolate has a much more positive effect on my mood than exercise. "I thought I was supposed to feel happy."

"Well your happy feelings are forty years old now," he says. Like that's supposed to make sense.

"What does that mean?"

"It means: this is as good as it gets."

3 comments:

jodie said...

Note to self: don't ask Shane to be my persona trainer.

Anonymous said...

Exercise has *never* made me feel "happy". Maybe less angry, or more mellow, but not a positive happy. Personally, I suspect it's a myth! The only happy I have with exercise is when it's over. If you don't feel awful and exhausted after exercise, then Shane was right IMO - thats as good as it gets.

PETE

Lisa said...

Weight lifting always makes me feel like, "Oh my God! Thank God that's over." The good part is, as time goes on, seeing results. In fact, cardio (running) is almost the same... I'm always glad to just be done. But over time as I feel improvements, whether it's feeling stronger, faster, or simply fitter, that's when it starts feeling good. Hang in there!