Sunday, December 13, 2009

Cookie swap

For the past five or six years, I have looked forward to the Christmas cookie swap. It started out much differently in the beginning, and has morphed its way into a luncheon. I see the benefits of bigger gatherings and smaller gatherings, but when time is such a precious commodity, the smaller gatherings allow me longer time with friends.

Shane usually takes Lanie to the movies, and next year Erin will probably join them on their outing. But today, she was my little helper. She entertained Denise for much of the swap, until cookies actually started being transferred, and then she was there with chocolate smeared face, eyes at table/plate level, asking for more.

This year I made Oreo truffles, which are super easy. A friend graciously made some for me over the summer, and I've been hooked since. And she's such a good friend, she gave me the recipe.



Oreo Truffles

One package of reduced fat Oreos
One package of reduced fat cream cheese (eight ounces)

Chocolate chips.

In a food processor, add entire package of cookies and the block of cream cheese. Process till combined. Form into balls and put on a wax paper lined tray. Freeze.


Later, melt chocolate in a double boiler. Drop balls, one at a time and using two forks, turn to coat with chocolate. Set on waxed paper. Freeze or refrigerate. Put in mini muffin cups or arrange on a plate.

I also had cream of crab soup--a recipe from another friend who makes incredible soups. (Wow, I'm so lucky to know people who can cook--and are generous to share their secrets with me!) Funny, though, I think I got some of the measurements wrong now that I look at the recipe, but it still turned out good.

Cream of Crab Soup

4 tbs butter
1 medium onion, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 tbs flour
1 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbs dry mustard
1/2 tsp Old Bay seasoning
cayenne pepper

4 cups milk
1 lb crab meat
3 tbs sherry

Saute onion and garlic in butter for about five minutes. Add flour and spices to make a blonde roux. When roux is ready, add milk and stir, bring just to a boil. Add crab meat and bring back to a boil. Immediately add sherry and remove from heat. Adjust salt and pepper. Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with chives or parsley. (I skipped this last part because I didn't have chives or parsley and there are only so many times my husband will cheerfully run out and get a missing ingredient.)

2 comments:

jodie said...

I'm so glad you posted the truffle recipe! I thought you meant it contained 1 baked cake, oreos and cream cheese. YIKES! I'm not a very good listener.

Thanks so much for a fun afternoon.

Courtney said...

That's a slightly different recipe: bake a cake according to pkg directions. Crumble cake with one container of icing. Form into balls. Freeze. Dip into melted white chocolate and refrigerate or freeze.

This way you can get different flavors, like strawberry or lemon. I have done lemon w/ white chocolate. Super yummy.

My friend also does a fancy icing scribble across the top. I just consider myself lucky if they turn out.