Thursday, December 24, 2009

Left brain vs right brain

The kids have been looking at a couple of gifts under the tree for about two weeks, brought over by their "grandparents" who visited on Erin's birthday. We were going to have them wait until Christmas to open them, but this morning, I changed my mind and let them open up the presents today.

Inside one box were several goodies, including two cute kits to make pom-pom creatures. The craft was on.

Lanie turns to her dad for help. I helped Erin.

Picture this: Lanie waiting patiently next to her dad as he reads the directions on the packaging. I hear words like "1-inch pom, 2-inch bump chenille, small piece chenille stem." And I look over briefly to see Shane searching the bag for the supplies to line up, directions in hand.

On the other side of the counter, Erin and I have spilled out the contents of the bag and are looking at the pictures, gluing and stacking pom poms and eyes and twisting pipe cleaners into shapes. We had three creatures made before Shane was even done arranging supplies.

I laughed at how our brains work.

***

We have played a game called "Grump Alert" these past two days. It was kind of fun the first day, but not so much the next. If someone is grumpy, someone else can call out "grump alert" as a light-hearted warning to cut it out. As if it were really that easy. And because we had even created this (lame) game, should give you a glimpse at what's been living in our house uninvited. I was not immune.

"If you could change anything about me, what would it be?" I asked Lanie as we sorted through a pile of laundry. I was feeling bad about my own grumpiness.

"Nothing," she said, looking at me straight on.

"No, really. Anything you want, what would you change?" I prepared myself for the worst.

"I wouldn't change anything about you," she said. "I like you just the way you are."

Grumps and all. Humbling.

2 comments:

jodie said...

I think you are one of the most amazing mothers I know. Honestly.

Courtney said...

You just made me cry.