Sunday, December 6, 2009

Spicy Italian soup

Dare I ever trust a recipe to my hard drive again?

This was a tasty soup a friend brought over one day. I'm always wowed when people make good soups because mine generally turn out rather bland. I assure you, this one isn't. I made a big pot of it today and stuffed myself to button popping between two bowls of it and lots of slices of homemade buttered bread. Delicious!

Spicy Italian Soup

1 pkg (approximately one pound) of hot Italian sausage (I use turkey sausage), casings removed
garlic, minced (I used one enormous clove)
1 medium onion, chopped

Brown all together. Chunk up sausage. Drain fat.

Add:
1 small can of tomato sauce
1 large can of diced tomatoes
1 small can of tomato paste (which I did not have and omitted with no ill effects)
1 (or 2) cans of pinto beans, rinsed and drained
16 ounces of beef broth

Stir all together.

Add: carrots, cabbage and fresh green beans

Add to taste: pesto sauce (I used 1 teaspoon), pepper, basil (I didn't use)

I let it simmer on the stove while the bread rose and then baked. Served everything piping hot.

No comments: