Wednesday, December 16, 2009

The worst day ever

According to Lanie this is the worst day ever, and I just might have to agree. Head cold that morphed into cough and fever. But it doesn't stop there: pink eye in both eyes. And it doesn't stop there, but I do because the horror is too great. Spent the day trying to get from doctor to pharmacy. Fortunately, my husband decided to help out and get the prescription for us as Lanie sat tearfully in the car wailing, "I just can't get out. Please take me home."

And so I did.

Loads of laundry. Tylenol. Popsicles. And at dinner she ate. As bedtime approached, her fear and anxiety grew at the thought of getting eye drops.

"This is the worst day of my whole life!" she cried. And I believed her. I tried my very best to calm her fears.

"I wish I could just drink the medicine. Why does it have to go in my eyes?"

I told her that her doctor prescribed the best medication for pink eye. That she would feel better, but she would have to take the drops.

"How long?" she asked. Wailed, actually.

"Three times a day for seven days," I said.

"Oh!" she said in great relief. "I'm so glad it's not a week!" And somehow I managed not to laugh. Just smiled and held her close.

4 comments:

jodie said...

So I'm so glad to know I only have to do it seven days instead of a week, too! :) So I go to my pharmacy to "pick up" my eyedrops and they tell me they are out of them and won't get them until tomorrow afternoon! Of course, they don't have a phone that they could have picked up and called me to tell me that so that I could fill the script somewhere else!!! I was just about to post on fb a request from Hampstead friends for eyedrops when a friend texted me and asked if I needed them. YEAH!

Courtney said...

Lanie commented this morning, as I put drops in her eyes, that you are so lucky that you only have it in one eye. So there you go. =)

5intow said...

awwwwww. Eye drops in little ones are tough. At least she will be done before Christmas, right? :-)

Praying for a quick recovery from all the symptoms.
~Erin

Courtney said...

Thanks, Erin. I will let her know you're praying. She's trying so hard to be brave.