Monday, January 11, 2010

White bean soup

Last night I made this white bean soup, inspired by the recipe in the most recent Williams-Sonoma catalog. It calls for pancetta, but I didn't have any and I used bacon. This is a key word.

Enter Lanie.

"What's for dinner?" she asked.

"Soup and garlic bread," I answered.

"What kind of soup?" she asked. Not that this matters. Unless I said chocolate candy soup with sprinkles, I don't think she'd try it.

But I surprised myself with quick reflexes and answered, "Bacon soup."

Because Lanie loves bacon. I hid the beans, celery, onions and carrots. I chopped up garlic in plain sight and when everything simmered in the pot, I stuck in my immersion blender and pureed it nice and smooth, so it looked creamy. Then I crumbled bacon and combined.

At the table, she eats the garlic bread first. Then she coats the spoon in the soup and licks the back of it.

"I don't really like it," she said.

"You licked the back of the spoon. That's hardly trying it."

"It's ok, but I don't really like it."

Meanwhile, Erin cried and adamantly refused to eat it. Then she was forlorn there wasn't more bacon.

The phone rings and I answered. "You busy?" asked the caller. I explained that I was just trying to get my kids to try something new, and as he is a veteran of these things I ask him how he got his kids to eat new things.

"What are you trying to get them to eat?" he asked.

"White bean soup," and once the words left my mouth, I realized that maybe I was asking too much ...

Still, I enjoyed it again tonight as a side to Lanie's favorite chicken penne pasta.

2 comments:

REG said...

Hang in there, Mom. Eventually their taste buds will allow them to eat most anything. That soup sounds really good.

Courtney said...

Thanks, Reg!