Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Snow cream

When life hands you a blizzard, make snow cream.

What you'll need:

about a gallon of fresh snow
2 cups of milk
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla
and marshmallow creme.

Mix milk, vanilla and sugar together. Pour over snow. Top with marshmallow creme. Enjoy!

This was our special treat today after lunch. As I sit in the office hammering away on the computer, winds are gusting, and I've actually seen snow blow into our house from the door. Note to self ... must get weather stripping.

We put a giant bowl out on the outside steps for fresh snow. Just a few hours later, the bowl was buried until April, so I just scooped up lots of snow in cups and extra snow (because once you add the milk, it breaks down). We stirred till thick, like a milkshake. The marshmallow creme was my idea as this all made us think of Miss Christy's snowball stand in the summer.

"I'm so glad I don't have school today," Lanie said. Today would have been a co-op day. "Mommy, this is so good! Will you please give me the recipe so I can make it for my kids one day?"

"Me too!" chirped Erin.

French toast was Lanie's idea this morning. The coffee was mine. Board games. Music. Book reading. No place to be. Snow still blowing in through the front door at the big gusts. Looks like puffs of powdered sugar. Old Man Winter laughing after eating a powdered donut.

Shane is home from an overnight at work shoveling off the roof. Dare I ask him if he wants to try some snow cream? He's been plowing and shoveling for two hours now. Something tells me snow cream isn't at the top of his list.

Maybe tonight he'll reconsider. Snow cream sounds pretty tasty to me topped with some Bailey's or that yummy Godiva Caramel and Milk Chocolate liqueur.

No comments: