Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Three

Never imagined I'd ever say to one of my kids, "Do not lick the cat's foot."

Erin tried not to look me in the eye. Lately, besides pretending she's a cat, she also likes to lick stuff, like friends' arms or cat's feet.

"Rudy steps in her potty box with those feet. You're licking poopie feet," I tell her.

She processes information. Looks disturbed. Walks towards me for a hug.

***

At bedtime, I get Erin settled in bed with kisses and hugs. We have a play group tomorrow at our house, and I prep her on etiquette. After reviewing how to share and take turns, I ask, "What do you say when the playdate is over and your friends are leaving?"

"Poop!" she grins.

I shake my head.

"Toot!" she tries.

"Goodbye," I tell her. Giggles.

***

Today the girls decorated two cupcakes and two cookies each. Lanie explains to the host that she is giving one very special flower cupcake to her dad.

"That's so nice," the lady responds, then turns toward Erin, "Who are you giving yours to?"

"I not sharing with anyone!" she says adamantly.

***

Took a Sunday drive with the family. Drove past lots of beautiful farms and hidden communities. Lanie started a conversation, "If a girl and a boy are brother and sister, can they marry each other?"

"No," I told her. "You can't marry people in your family."

"If a girl and a boy are friends who aren't brother and sister, they can get married, right?"

"Yes," I said.

"Well," Erin announced, "I going to marry Daddy."

Sweet three.

2 comments:

jodie said...

very sweet three

Anonymous said...

Bookmark this post! It has some great stories you'll want to return to in the future.

PETE