Thursday, July 15, 2010

Chicken nuggets and French fries

One night over complaints I received from the kids because of the dinner I made, I said, "There's no way we can go on a fun vacation if you're not trying new foods. I can't eat chicken nuggets and French fries for a week!"

My mind ever searching to find ways to get my kids to eat new things, I devised our own 12-step plan. For every new food serving a child eats, it's one step closer to a fun vacation. I traced each child's foot and made twelve steps for each one on construction paper. And every time one has tried a new food, I write the name of the food on the respective child's "step."

So far, we have been quite successful. Every night, I try to make sure there's a new food to sample and I put a veggie plate of sliced, raw veggies for the kids to help themselves (and fill bellies if they aren't interested in the night's dinner). And I also try to rotate these meals so that new foods tried can be eaten again.

"You might as well start trying new foods. Joe's not going to have chicken nuggets and French fries at his wedding," I said as both encouragement and warning.

We went to Massachusetts for Joe and Laura's wedding last weekend. I wondered how my kids would respond to the dinner being served: family style dishes of sauteed squashes, pastas, beef, and potatoes. But as each server placed plates in front of the guests, child places were skipped. Minutes later, the servers returned with special plates for the kids in attendance. Their menu: chicken nuggets and French fries.

I could only laugh.

I'm sure Lanie wrote that one down in her thankful journal!

4 comments:

Beckie said...

That is too funny! When you said they had a kid-friendly meal for the girls, I never would have thought Chicken Nuggets & FF's. They must know your girls taste preferences very well, as well as most any other kid in attendance at the wedding. = )

Marshall's Mommy said...

That is HYSTERICAL! You worked so hard to get them to branch out and try new things. That was so thoughtful of the bride and groom to consider their tastes. Sounds like it was an enjoyable weekend - can't wait to hear all about it!

Courtney said...

It really was thoughtful of them. Sweet couple. Great weekend.

jodie said...

I would have wanted the child's plate. One lazy night this week I ordered carry-out...chicken tenders and fries from the kids' menu. Pathetic, I know.