Monday, August 9, 2010

Bedtime

Got the girls jammied up, teeth brushed, hugged and kissed at 7:45. Tucked Erin in, bordered with pillows, a stack of her reading books and dolly. Lanie and I read together on the couch. A neighbor lent us Peter and the Starcatchers. We've been covering about a chapter or two at bedtime each night. Peter Pan was always a favorite of mine.

8:05 ... I send Lanie up to bed after reading.
8:10 ... watch Shane clean a spot out of the carpet.
8:19 ... Erin comes into the room to ask for a drink. I put her back in bed. She asks me to cuddle her.

"Ok, but only for a few minutes. I have to get Daddy's lunch packed and take care of a few things."

She wriggles and cuddles and I whisper to the evening, "Thank you, God, for Erin." And I give her nose a kiss.

"Thank you, God, for Rudy (our cat), Mommy, Lanie, Daddy, and Little Bill (our neighbor's hamster)," she says. I smile.

"I have to go in a minute," I tell her. It's 8:29, and it doesn't take long for me to want to sleep in a darkened room lying next to a cuddlebug.

"What if I have a bad dream?"

"Then tell me and I will hold you close," I say. At 8:31, I get out of bed to resume watching Shane's master carpet stain removal skills.

8:32 ... Lanie goes for a potty break.
8:33 ... Erin comes into the room. "I had a bad dream." I take her back to bed with a hug and a kiss and hand her dolly to her.

"Goodnight, Erin."

8:51 ... so far, she's stayed put.

3 comments:

firefly said...

My daughter does the same thing, except she wants to tell me what her toys are "saying", or she is thirsty, or she needs to potty, or she heard something...needless to say bedtime starts around 8:30 and I finally get her to sleep and me in bed around 11:00...

Beckie said...

I love the "I had a bad dream" when they've only been in bed, approx. 2 minutes.

Courtney said...

It really is sweet. I need to keep telling myself that it won't last forever (in fact, tonight she only got out of bed once).