Friday, August 13, 2010

Overcast

I always think of my mom on days like today, when the sky is cloudy and the temperatures are cool. There are gentle wind gusts and the trees swing and sway in time. When I was a little girl she told me that it was going to rain when the trees' leaves gleamed white underbellies. I remember telling a teacher in elementary school about how you could tell it would rain and she replied, "That's silly! It's just the wind blowing through the leaves."

Even still, I always thought of my mother in the pre-rain premonition. Always saw the white underbellies. Always wanted to believe.

Mom would also tell me other things: like don't buy shoes first thing in the morning, always clean the stove top when it's still warm, and if you ever burn your finger--touch your ear.

I once burned my finger and held it to my ear, telling a friend, "My mom said to hold a burn to your ear."

"That doesn't make any sense," came the reply.

Poolside on a chilly day, comfortable in a long sleeve shirt, watching Lanie persist in swimming. A neighbor and I made small talk. After a time, he said to no one in particular, "It's going to rain. The leaves are flipped over. Look at the trees!"


"My mom used to tell me that," I said.

And I felt grateful.

4 comments:

jodie said...

Your mom was right. Your teacher was wrong.

Beckie said...

I was told, as a child too, that when the leaves flipped over it was going to rain too. I don't remember who told me...I'm guessing either my mom or dad did though. = )

Karen said...

Aren't you glad you are the mom AND the teacher for Lanie and Erin!

Courtney said...

Karen: Yes, I am glad.

=)