Tuesday, August 31, 2010

The thought that counts

Last week I made black bean soup and corn bread for dinner. A last-minute meal since I hadn't planned the week's menus very well and was raiding the pantry. It had been months since I made black bean soup, so the change would be nice.

I start making the soup: garlic, onions, carrots, stock, seasoning and then beans. Let it simmer till the carrots are soft. Then blend with my trusty immersion blender.

I pulled it out, plugged it in, and the motor whirred, but the blade didn't. I tried again. And again. Unplugged it and tried again. High. Low.

Nothing.

I brought out my banana bread masher. But it didn't do much good with beans. And then a different masher, which mashed a little, but not the effect I was going for.

"Bummer," I said out loud. "My immersion blender is broken."

Erin walked up to me and put her hand on my arm.

"Mommy!" she exclaimed. "I will get you a NEW one for your birthday! It will be the best gift ever!"

She reminded me today while we were in the grocery store that she would get me a new immersion blender for my birthday. And I thought how sweet to be three where things in the world are free, and all you have to do to have it is wish hard enough.

3 comments:

Courtney said...

Of course, at three, one wishes of cookies and popsicles and My Little Ponies. At forty, the wishes are more like mortgages, more babies, and peace.

Beckie said...

I use my regular blender to make the soup. I couldn't justify buying an immersion blender just to make the black bean soup when I had a regular blender just sitting there. It does make one more thing to wash in the sink, but tastes just as good. = )

Courtney said...

I loved the convenience of the immersion blender--especially since it didn't cost a thing ... a leftover from a former wife I think!