Friday, September 24, 2010

Jupiter

The other night before bed, I told Lanie I had something special I wanted to show her. I had heard on the radio that Jupiter is as close to the earth as it will get in the next twelve years. I wanted to look for it in the night sky. Lanie in jammies, we went into the spare room, lights off, and looked out.

"What do you see?" I asked her.

"The moon and a star. There's nothing else in the sky," she said. It sure seemed like those were the only objects there.

"That star is actually a planet, and the sun is shining on it to make it so bright," I began. I told her how I had heard it won't be like this for another twelve years. "You'll be twenty then."

She considered it.

"In twelve years after that, you'll be thirty-two. Wow, Lanie, you might be married with kids of your own then. You could be showing them Jupiter in the sky!"

She considered it more. "What if I don't have any kids?"

"Then you will look in the sky and remember cuddling in my arms, how much I loved you, and a quiet night we spent looking at it together."

She beamed bright and cuddled closer. Since then, she has run to the window every night before bedtime to find it making a trail across the sky, slowly losing its brilliance. It goes so fast.

2 comments:

REG said...

Are you trying to make me cry? Good job.

Courtney said...

Aww. For me, it's the link at the bottom to It Goes So Fast. Sniff, sniff.