Friday, November 12, 2010

The chocolate in the freezer

The day after Halloween, I told the girls they could choose three candies a day from their Halloween bags. Erin carried her bag with her nearly every place she went. Lanie was quick to notice Erin's chocolates getting melty when set in the sunny spots on the floor.

"We should put Erin's chocolates in the freezer," she said. Smart girl. So we put the chocolates in the freezer.

Each day, Erin and Lanie selected their three choices. And from time to time, I would go to the freezer and get a misshapen Reese's Peanut Butter Cup. Oh gosh, does anyone see where I'm going with this?

A few neighbors handed out full sized candy bars, including a lovely Hershey's milk chocolate. The day I snuck off with that one was memorable. I opened the wrapper carefully, because while my kids can't seem to hear me when I'm less than arm's length from them, they are keenly attuned to the sound of any treat wrapper being opened. Then I ate the chocolate.

Yesterday, Erin lamented being out of candy.

"Mommy, can you put some more candy in my bag?" she asked.

"Oh, honey, you get three treats a day while the Halloween candy lasts. It's not three treats forever," I explained.

"But Mommy, I had some chocolate in the freezer," she said. Does this kid take echinacea? "I had a really big chocolate bar."

I couldn't look at her. I remained silent. Oh, I was going to have some explaining to do.

"Mommy, did you eat my chocolate bar?" she asked.

"Oh Erin!" I exclaimed apologetically. "I'm sorry! I will get you another one."

"I knew you would eat it," she said to my astonishment. "But that's ok. I still love you."

1 comment:

Beckie said...

We have two gallon size bags of chocolate containing candy in the freezer that is leftover from Halloween. I can supply your make-up order for Erin if you'd like. = )

About 2 - 3 days after Halloween the kids only ask about once a day for a piece of candy, so we have ALOT left.