Sunday, November 14, 2010

The love language of thanksgiving

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. I guess I just like it for its simplicity: spending time with people I love, singing thanks in my heart, enjoying good food. (Is food a love language?)

This year, I'm changing things up just a little.

The menu:

Spinach, bacon and onion dip (Nov. 2010 issue of Everyday Food)
Feta, scallions and tomatoes with french bread slices

Bacon corn chowder (Shane wants to know who, besides me, serves soup at Thanksgiving. I see nothing wrong with it.)
Salad (of some sort)
Luxurious mashed potatoes with roasted garlic and thyme
Cauliflower gratin (Nov. 2010 issue of Everyday Food)
Maple whipped sweet potatoes (Nov. 2010 issue of Everyday Food)
Sausage stuffing (as in, the holiday is OFF if this isn't on the table)
Turkey

Apple pie with ice cream
Pumpkin bread pudding with dulce de leche (Nov. 2010 issue of Everyday Food)

With the house being on the market, I'm having a hard time getting into the overall holiday spirit. It's almost as if I don't feel like we live here anymore and this house isn't ours. So far, the closest I've gotten to putting fall's stamp on our home is the pumpkin pie scented candle I burn in the kitchen sometimes and this leafy craft of giving thanks that adorns our mantle.

No comments: