Thursday, November 4, 2010

She loves me, she loves me not

Carrying a three year old up the steps with bedtime protests, teeth brushing protests, pajama protests. I tried to appeal to her on a common ground, "How did you like your cupcake? Did it taste like mint?"

We got a free foursome from an area cupcake company: grasshopper, tiramisu, red velvet, strawberry mousse. They were delivered, free of charge, in the rain, with a smile, to my door. If the kids hadn't been home when I received them, I would have eaten them all. As it was, they saw the cupcakes and picked them out before I could lay claim on a single one. (I got red velvet, the last choice. A mother's plight ...)

She shook her head.

"Did it taste like grasshoppers?"

Grumpy headshakes. "NO!"

"Mine was red. And you know what it tasted like?" She waited intently. "Red!"

A half smile. "For real?" she asked.

I got her dressed and settled in bed, hugging, kissing and squeezing on her.

"Stop squeezing me! Stop kissing me!"

"I can't help it--that's what mamas do. They love their babies. And their three year olds. And when you're four, I'll love you more!"

"No! Don't love me!"

Goodnight wishes and into the hall, I opened Lanie's door to a darkened room and lean over to kiss her. She holds on tight and doesn't want to let go.

"I love you so much. I want to marry you!" She tells me this often. We made a date for tomorrow morning, that she would come join me for cuddles before breakfast.

"Goodnight!" she called as I closed the door. "Love you!"

"Goodnight. I love you."  Because that's what mamas do.

2 comments:

Nora said...

Courtney,

You are such a great mom! I often find myself busy with the hustle and bustle and forget that moments like these are what life is about. Thanks for the reminder!

Peace,
Nora

an ordinary mom said...

What a precious post! I've had a couple little girls very much like that...

Blessings-
ali