Wednesday, January 19, 2011

The power of one


By German writer Johann Wolfgang von Goethe:



“I have come to the frightening conclusion that I am the decisive element. It is my personal approach that creates the climate. It is my daily mood that makes the weather. I possess tremendous power to make life miserable or joyous.
I can be a tool of torture or an instrument of inspiration, I can humiliate or humor, hurt or heal. In all situations, it is my response that decides whether a crisis is escalated or deescalated, and a person is humanized or dehumanized.
If we treat people as they are, we make them worse. If we treat people as they ought to be, we help them become what they are capable of becoming.”

3 comments:

Beckie said...

This is great. I need to print it out and tape it to my forehead, with it hanging down in my face....esp. today.

Courtney said...

That is probably more effective than my plan of printing it out and sticking it in a pretty frame somewhere.

Hugs.

firefly said...

I like that last lttle bit about treating people as they ought to be. There are so many times that I want to treat an adult like a 2 year old because they are acting like one... This will be printed out and posted here at our house as well! :) ~Kristina