Saturday, February 19, 2011

The brownie experiment

One day during school, Lanie asked, "Mom, why do we have to read the Bible?"

"Because the Bible tells us about God so we can know him better. And in it he tells us stuff so we can live our best life," I paused. "If you were going to make brownies, what kinds of things would you put in them?"

"Chocolate, flour, eggs, water ..." she wondered.

"I'm going to let you bake some brownies," I said. She was excited. "Without a recipe."

"How will I do that?" she asked.

"Think of the ingredients you would need to make brownies and figure it out," I said.

Yesterday, I narrowed the field down for her with a list of things that go into brownies, writing some oddball ingredients as well like garlic, chicken stock, spinach, pepper. She picked out what she wanted to use. Thankfully, she didn't add the savory parts. In the kitchen, we gathered all the things she wanted and she started with flour.


"I'm going to use two cups, because I've seen you do it," she said, picking up the one-cup measure. She also added two eggs, four tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa, 2/3 cup sugar, three teaspoons of baking soda, two tablespoons canola oil, 1/2 cup of water and 1/2 cup of chocolate chips. We baked it for twenty minutes at 350 degrees.

"Life is kind of like brownies ... you have an idea of what you need to make it good, but you might leave something out that you really need, or add something that totally turns the batch bad," the lecture ensued about how we can try to do life on our own with varying results, but that life is deliciously richer following the Lord.

We had a great chat about the ingredients for a good life and a bad life, and took a look at the components of our own. Life sure looks a lot different when you put it down on paper. We took some thoughts to the Bible to see what God had to say about things we thought were good or bad.

We ate the brownies for dessert. They had a chocolatey start, but then the "this isn't quite right" aftertaste settled in. Lanie spoke, "They tasted really good at first. But I don't like them. Some of the bites don't taste good."

I congratulated her for her effort and a thoughtful approach to baking. The experiment was a lot of fun and I love that she had fun doing it. I told her the next time we make brownies, we'll follow the directions. She can't wait.

5 comments:

Jodie said...

Amazing story! I might pass it on.

Courtney said...

Surprised at all that I would use an example that featured chocolate? My one track mind ...

firefly said...

I love how you explained all that!! Such a great and smart idea!! I might have to borrow that idea someday soon! :)

Beckie said...

An awesome application Courtney. Did you read about that idea somewhere or was that an idea born of your own genius? Truly amazing!

Courtney said...

Hey Beckie, can't say it was my own genius more than divinely inspired. I had to keep it interesting, otherwise my soapbox lectures get a little boring.

Kristina, let me know how your daughter's brownies turn out! It's fun, but keep a napkin handy for discretion. ;)