Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Fascination street

I spent my summers biking dusty trails. I rode alone a lot, because I liked activities that made me push my limits. I never really liked competing against others. I lived for weekends, rising early and loading a bike on the back of my car; The Cure in my dashboard playing, windows down, road ahead. I had a favorite spot along the Potomac where I'd park my car and pull on my gloves, unload the bike and ride out. Dusty trails. Limits pushed. Scents of summer. Water on my left. Train track on the right. And miles ahead of me.

I miss my bike.

Today, the girls and I grabbed a bite to eat at McDonalds. We dined inside. Fascination Street was playing for our pleasure. Suddenly I felt twenty-five and had incredible cravings for my bike, summer, a cigarette. And I thought how very far away I am from then to now. Crazy stuff, nostalgia.

3 comments:

Karen said...

I'm loading CDs onto my iPhone and spent a little time head banging with Tommy Conwell and the Young Rumblers. Music does take you back!

Kristina said...

I think I have a set of songs for both High School and College that I will listen to from time to time, takes me back to my care-free days, but usually brings along a reminder of the heart ache from that time too...
I love music!

Anonymous said...

I think rock peaked in the 80's-early 90s with the use of synthesizers and natural voices (not auto-tuned like today). 'Fascination Street' is definitely a cool song, and I see how it can take you back to some good times...

Pete