Friday, March 4, 2011

How do you say thank you ...

I had just pulled up to our mailbox, grabbed the mail. I got a package today from a friend I've known since we were in diapers. I knew she was sending me something when she asked for my address recently, and didn't want to wait until I was inside the house to see what it was. Parked in the driveway, I opened it, her handwritten card was the first thing:

Courtney, 

I've always thought your photos were so lovely they should be in a book. Now they are. Enjoy.

Love,

Patricia

Then I opened the packaging that held my heart, and wept. My girls in the back seat, speaking gently, "Mommy, it's ok. We love you."

"I'm ok, I'm ok. But ... look what my friend did," I showed them. Kindness that reaches deep places.

The photos of color a blur, wet streaks down my face that wouldn't stop. These past few years of blogging summed up in these pages by the photos I've shared of my kids--a gentle pink cover entitled, appropriately, In This Heart.

Photos just snippets of life frozen, and their stories speeding past me, page after page. I was dizzy with memory: Easters, kittens, scooters, snows, cookies, cuddles, Christmases, Thanksgivings, sprinklers, swings, birthdays, beaches, parks, pizza, and on and on. The end page, a full-size photo of me and my girls. The back cover read:

In his heart, a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps. Proverbs 16:9

I am so overwhelmed by such a generous act of kindness, for a friendship that has endured so many years, by lives that do more than intersect but join at the heart and don't let go.

Thank you, dear friend, for your love. 

No comments: