Friday, April 1, 2011

April fool soup

It might sound odd to say I was happy to wake up at 3:30 this morning to go work on my post for 66 Books, because 3:30 is way early in the morning. I had a laugh to myself at the fat flakes falling a second day in a row, after all, this is spring. Most of yesterday the grass was green. Today, it is white blanketed. Chuckle. But the laughter stopped when I turned on the computer and tried to access internet. No go. Downed connection. I unplugged things and plugged them back in. Still, no go. I sat and read the day's reading several times in a book, and really should have pulled up MS Word to start journaling through instead of resorting to plan B: getting comfy on the couch with a blanket and Recovering from Losses in Life by H. Norman Wright. Into chapter five, my eyelids felt heavy, and soon the book was closed on my chest and I was snoozing away.

Recommending a soup recipe that I made tonight. Loved it enough for three bowls for myself--and there is still plenty to go around.

Chicken and rice soup with lemon and eggs
 or 
April fool soup

Approximately 7-8 cups of low sodium chicken stock
4 skinless chicken thighs
1 cup jasmine rice (or brown if you prefer)
a greedy handful of baby carrots, diced
3 eggs
1/2 juicy lemon (feel free to use the whole thing if you like)
optional salt and pepper

In a good size saucepan, heat broth and cook carrots and chicken thighs for about 20 minutes at a medium-heat simmer. Add rice and cook 18 minutes longer. Remove chicken thighs, shred meat, return to pan. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk eggs. Add lemon juice to eggs and whisk more. As rice time is up, snag one cup of hot broth and slowly whisk into egg mixture till nice and frothy. Then immediately pour frothy egg concoction into the saucepan. Serve it up.

An eight year old will not know that there are eggs or lemon juice in this soup--even though there are subtle hints of this delightful wonder to a palate in the know. She will, however, rave over how much she likes chicken and rice soup and you will feel full of yourself for getting extra protein in her.

2 comments:

Kristina said...

I must say I have never heard of adding lemon juice and egg to chicken and rice... Sounds interesting, I may have to try it....

Courtney said...

I never would have done it if I hadn't seen it in a recipe. I'm glad I took the chance. I thought it would be awful!