Sunday, April 24, 2011

Easter 2011

My sister, dad and his girlfriend came over for Easter. I did a brunch for the first time: spinach and strawberry salad with yummy dressing, Italian brunch bake, mini chicken salad sandwiches with Old Bay seasoning, grilled asparagus, chocolate chip scones, fresh fruit, coffee, juice, sweet iced tea, champagne. And a raspberry lemon cake.

It was a lovely visit, lasting delightfully longer than normal. Windows open. Spring breezes. Warm sunshine. Linda helped me hide eggs: she placed them carefully and intentionally, I threw them around wherever they'd land. Dad helped Erin put together a puzzle, the three of us on the floor.

"What's taking so long with that puzzle?" Shane joked. It was a puzzle where the image changes depending how you hold the piece.

"You should do the borders first," Linda mentioned. But Dad was never one for borders first. He always does the middle, and this time I tried it his way. It's good for the brain.

"I should get you a puzzle every Easter," I said.

"You better hurry up!" he replied. He's seventy-five. I laughed too loudly, surprised by him, and he laughed, and soon we were laughing so hard, he had to get up to wipe his face from the tears. I looked at his thinning white hair, and his smooth skin, his age spotted hands, and the dress shirt he wore (so unlike him to dress up). I was glad to sit on the floor and play puzzles with him and my daughter, to laugh next to him and enjoy this time.

Later, Erin and Lanie petitioned for their chocolate Easter bunnies.

"Just the heads, to taste them," Lanie bargained. I said ok. Erin returned in a bit, saying, "Mommy, I ate the whole thing because I was afraid it would melt."

Stinker.

Yummy salad dressing

1/3 cup sugar (I reduced from original 1/2 cup)
2 tablespoons sesame seeds
1 tablespoon poppy seeds
1 1/2 tsp finely chopped onion
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon worchestershire sauce
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup cider vinegar

You can dump all in a processor and pulse a few times to thicken. Or shake to combine. Pour over fresh baby spinach with sliced strawberries. Super good. 

No comments: