Thursday, April 28, 2011

Rainbow

Nothing we have for Lanie from last spring and summer fits her this year. As one friend remarked, Lanie grows like a sunflower. She is so long and lean. So today I took her out shopping for some clothes. She frowned and fussed.

"Can't we do it another day?" she asked.

"No. We're here now," I replied.

The first store, I picked up a cute sky blue top and asked her what she thought of it. More frowns and fussing. On to the next store. Luckily an employee there offered to help and she loaded us up with all kinds of ideas that would be comfortable: Lanie doesn't like anything denim or that buttons around the waist.

A skirt, some tops, a few capris later--and the Godiva Rewards stop for the freebie chocolate--we were on the way home.

I laid out the clothes and suggested matching options for her. She watched. Then I held up the rainbow capris, the ones I disliked as soon as the associate pulled them out, the ones I knew deep down Lanie would love.

"Oh Mom," she said. "I'm so glad you got those for me. I was secretly hoping you would."

She told me she would wear those first, and I smiled.

No comments: