Monday, May 2, 2011

Eight point five

Rush and bustle to get out of the house and keep it picked up and "show" ready. I was serving at Lanie's school today. And in my preoccupation, I forgot to take anything out of the freezer for dinner tonight. So we stopped by the store on the way home.

Rotisserie chicken, some rosemary focacia bread, paired with leftover veggies and noodles from last night. I fixed the kids' plates, with the encouragement they could have a slice of bread after they ate what was on their plates first.

Lanie did. All of it. With compliments. Then she went back for seconds. Wow in itself. What got me most was this:

"Thank you for dinner, Mom."

She is growing up.

This big girl, playing with hair styles in the mirror before bed, still asks me to brush her teeth at night. While I brushed, I asked her, "What was your favorite part of the day?" I used to ask her this all the time, but I can't recall when the routine stopped. When she was much younger, the answer was always, "You." I remembered it fondly as the question rolled off my tongue. What would she say at eight and a half? My heart tightened with mother-love at her response today, in 2011:

"Seeing you."

No comments: