Wednesday, May 25, 2011

The pledge

Last night as I tucked Lanie into bed, she was full of hope for the last day of school.

"I hope they pick me!" she said--pick her to lead the school in saying the Pledge of Allegiance. "I always raise my hand, but I never get picked. I just know they'll pick me this time!"

Then she looked at me and asked, "Could you ask them to let me? This would be the last time."

Last time for the year. Perhaps indefinitely. We decided not to go back to the co-op next year because we aren't sure where we'll be living.

After she asked, she took it back just as quickly, "No, don't. Never mind. Don't ask."

But I would anyway. I would ask the ladies leading devotions if they might look where the second graders sit, and if Lanie's hand shot up, could they consider calling on her? It would mean so much.

I sat next to Lanie during the morning devotions, and without even posing the question, she was called out to come up to the microphone. She grasped my arms, her jaw set, her eyes a flurry of emotion. I think she would have disappeared if she knew how. I wondered if she'd refuse.

"Come on," I whispered. She followed me up to the front, and after the Latin recitation Pater Noster, she was handed the microphone. The collective we turned to face the flag. I stood behind her and as I placed my hand over my heart, Lanie's voice came through the speakers, clear as day. My eyes teared up.

She desperately fought to keep her smile from breaking open upon her face on the way back to her seat. Inside, down deep inside, I cheered and danced and high-fived.

"Why did you do that?" she asked me.

"Because," I said. Because I knew you wanted to; because I knew you needed to; because I knew you hoped for this.

This morning, she left the sanctuary a different person.

More than a few tears will fall in thanks for this. 

2 comments:

Kristina said...

Tears from me, too!! :) I love how we, as moms, can help make our little darlin's dreams come true. I am so excited for Lanie and proud, too! Way To Go!!

Courtney said...

Thank you, Kristina! It really was a moment to remember.