Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Boots, shovel, book on snakes

Here's how it went down.

"Mommy! Mommy! There's a snake outside! There's a snake outside!" Lanie yells.

I go outside. And yes, there's a snake sunning itself on the sidewalk. I look at it closely, but still from a distance. If it was a black snake, I would have walked away. But this one was brown with markings, and I've been told copperheads are out here.

I call Joel and explain the situation. He asks lots of questions about the snake and its markings. He tells me what to do.

"I'll stay on the phone," he adds.

I can only imagine how much he heard and what he thought.

Slam! of shovel against concrete.

"Ahhh! Ahhh!" (that's me screaming)

Slam! Slam! Slam!

I get back on the phone.

"It didn't work," I said. "I just pissed him off." And, yes, that's the terminology that falls out of your face when you combine caffeine, a shovel and a snake.

For the record, snakes don't squish like a worm when you stun them with a shovel. They get really mad, coil up and hiss at you. I don't know why I thought they would squish ...

And as a follow-up on the snake, he slithered off with a bad attitude.

Lots to learn out here. When I thought our woodland wish list would consist of books on leaf identification, bird watching, shade gardens ... now I'm adding snakes to the list.

And a pair of boots.

And a better shovel.

"Mommy! Mommy!" Lanie comes running in this morning. "Did you see in the woods?! There are big deer out there with antlers!" Fingers splayed and hands up by her head for dramatic effect.

This is life in the woods.

5 comments:

Lance said...

We have so many dear they're a real problem, but they are majestic and beautiful creatures... when they aren't crossing the road.

Courtney said...

We have them all around us, grazing in the gardens and walking through the woods.

Kristina said...

Snakes and I dont get along, either! I have done the same thing! I actually got out my pistol when a racoon was attacking my dog... yeah- country life, it can be good and it can be scary! :)

Courtney said...

Hey Kristina! You've been quiet! Hope all is well with you!

Love country life for sure!

Anonymous said...

Surprisingly, you don't have to mash, shoot, cut, or smash a snake to move it. Just use a stiff broom and sweep him off the sidewalk. He will leave.

Once, we had snakes in our barn, which would poke their heads out of the stall doors when we went to close the horses in. Val got quite adept at pushing them gently back into the door with a stick, then closing it. The snakes left after they ate all the barn rats