Sunday, November 27, 2011

Christmas ornaments

This year's tree; a pre-lit tree because Shane is done hanging lights. And my JOY reminder front and center, quite likely to be my 2012 focus word, if I do that kind of thing again.

Every year our family heads to a nearby nursery that is decked out with Christmas trees and ornaments. There, we select a new ornament each. I try to pick an ornament that is symbolic of something of the year. Like the first year of being a mom, I got a snowmama holding a snowbaby. Another year, per the (then) annual cookie swap, I selected a gingerbread man dressed in cook's clothing. Last year, the girls and I saw a lovely performance of The Nutcracker, so I chose an ornament of Clara holding a nutcracker.

The kids tend to get whatever is pretty or sparkly or catches their eye. This year, Lanie picked out a stained-glass cross. Erin got a Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer, second year running.

I got a sock monkey. Which has nothing to do with anything, yet is somehow fitting.



We passed by a woodland section of ornaments and Shane and I shared a good laugh over spiders, squirrels, foxes, groundhogs, mice, and snakes.

"You have to get a mouse or a snake," I encouraged. He didn't pick one out, being our resident humbug. I'm half tempted to go back soon and get one for him.

The girls decorating the tree.

No comments: