Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Inscription

When our former house was being built, we were there weekly to watch the progress. Shane snagged a picture of me writing inscription on the wall. I reminisced over that packing up last summer. Buying an older house, I didn't expect to have the opportunity to do that again. I cherished that memory of once upon a time.

But some walls were meant to come down. Shane hated the school room from day one. Wood panel. Bulky ceiling beams. We tore it all down the other weekend. And to my delight, I was surrounded by bones to this house. Wood studs and rafters, waiting for us to write our story--and so we did.

Happy to be home.

God bless our home.

God provides.

Our names in red Sharpie on the door frame.

Walnut trees, apple trees, a reading nook, a captain's bell, dogwoods, wild raspberries, tulips, a room with a view, sky-scraping pines, a long driveway, a woodland awning, a tree (and a fence) for kids to climb, inscriptions ... thanks fills my eyes.

When Joel showed up in our driveway yesterday, I went out to greet him.

"Are you still happy you're here?" he asked.

"Yes," I said.

We walked around the property, looking at trees and talking. His face full of warmth, he said, "I feel really good that you bought this house."

His story written here. And now ours. A house that seemed meant for children's laughter. And joy. 




2 comments:

Beckie said...

Love the snowdrop flowers pic!

Courtney said...

Thanks, Beckie. They were one of the first of many lovely surprises to pop up in the front garden.

Thanks again for joining me for breakfast over the weekend. It felt so good to visit with you.