Friday, April 13, 2012

Oh, Friday

Up earlier, caffeinated sooner, showered and dressed. A lengthy phone call about books, taps on my leg for attention and interruption, snacks served. I send them out because the sun is shining and it's a beautiful day.

In a quiet house, I watch them scooter and bike in the driveway. Scamper through the garden. Lanie's bike a colorful blur in the sunlight and her streams sparkle. I think about how good the simple things are. Somewhere a neighbor is riding his tractor and cutting the grass. Cherry blossoms lay strewn across the lawn like snowflakes. A hawk was perched on a branch right outside the dining room window. Purple-shaded petunias are planted in the window boxes. Today's lessons piled high next to me, but first, life. Good life.

Lanie runs in, jacket off, cheeks flushed, gets a drink. Erin follows. And they both run back out. The captain's bell rings and rings. I hear squeals and laughter. These are the sounds of home.


No comments: