Monday, June 4, 2012

Reclaim

It's been full steam ahead since spring started. So many hours in the gardens weeding, mulching, planting. I always had an interest in gardening, but was hesitant to do one on this scale in case it looked bad. I love that the plan was already established, and I could still come in and tailor it to our likes.

Lanie helped me plant the impatiens the other day. I remember last summer walking down the front walk and delighting in hidden impatiens hunkered beneath hosta leaves. I let her tuck them in. I worked nearly the entire day hauling mulch to the beds at the walkway. It was hot and muggy and I was a sweaty mess. There was also the task of priming the schoolroom walls and ceiling (which is now accomplished). And tidying up for a breakfast meeting Thursday morning. After waking at 4 a.m. to blog at 66 Books.

I talked to Shane when the breakfast meeting broke up at 1:30 p.m. I felt beat from very full days of something to do and a time by which to get it done.

"I don't want to paint the ceiling or pull a weed or put down mulch," I said. "I just want to go be with the girls and play and read books with them."

"They will love that," he said. "They've been wanting that."

So that's what we did. We read books. And I gave Erin a wagon ride along a nearby street. Lanie and I walked and talked about flowers and Halloween costumes and every other thing we thought of. Came home to cool breezes and open windows and sat outside eavesdropping on a conversation between owls in the woods, watching blue birds and cardinals, listening to the treetop rustle of leaves. So lush.

Now a week of slower pace. Packing up baby board books. Giving the school room a content makeover as Lanie enters fourth and Erin looks ahead to kindergarten. Reclaiming our dining room from computers and text books and Play-doh. Reclaiming us from the and, and, and.




No comments: